Foster Care and Adoption Services
Children who enter therapeutic foster care bring with them special needs, most importantly, the need for a stable family life. These children, infants to age 18, are often the victims of abuse, neglect, or abandonment. As a result, they may suffer from emotional, behavioral, or developmental problems.Through the services of New Beginnings, families can acquire the training and assistance to enrich the life of a child, and children can receive the support they need. New Beginnings does not discriminate in accepting children or foster care families into its program based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or disability.
New Beginnings Family Services offers therapeutic foster and adoption care services. Children in foster care come with a whole suitcase full of traumatic and unhappy childhood experiences.
They need a caring environment that will boost their self-esteem, provide encouragement, and most importantly – love. We train individuals and families to become foster parents and place Kentucky’s abused and neglected children in the best matched home. Once a match is made, New Beginnings staff is there every step of the way to support, encourage, and advocate for the parent and child’s best interest.
in 2018, over 9,500 Kentucky children have been removed from their homes due to abuse and neglect. Kentucky needs more foster families now. Together, we can advance the conversation about how everyone can play a role in foster care.
How Do I Become A Foster Parent?
To become a foster care parent, a home study assessment is completed by New Beginnings Family Services, Inc. This involves a visit by a recruiter/trainer who will obtain information about your health history and personal finances. The recruiter/trainer will conduct criminal and child abuse background checks and interview members of the household. This home study assessment is done to ensure the safety of the child and that potential foster care parents meet state requirements.
To qualify a person must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 24 years old, single or married.
- Must be able to provide a safe and nurturing home for a child or adolescent.
- Must have adequate living and sleeping space for the child.
- Must have sufficient income and cannot rely on foster care payment.
- Must be able to devote time and energy to the child’s needs.
- Must have valid driver’s license and transportation.
- Must attend and complete a minimum of 36 hours of pre-service training (If married, both parents must attend).
Once approved, foster care families may be offered a boy or girl ranging in age from infancy to 21, who as a result of their family situation, cannot live with their birth parents or relatives. The recruiter/trainer and Site Director will consider a family’s request and will evaluate the home environment to best match your interests with the needs of a child.
Make a donation for a better lifeHelp us now!
New Beginnings Foundation’s mission is to provide a charitable giving avenue to those who want to make the difference in the lives of children and families serviced by New Beginnings Family Services, Inc. All gifts received fund specialized services for children not covered by state funding and/or therapeutic activities.Donate Now
What Should I Expect?
- Child placements ranging from 90 days to one to two years.
- To receive reimbursement each month to help cover the cost of food, clothing and expenses for the child.
- To have a child’s medical care covered by the State Medicaid program, foster families will need to provide transportation to and from doctor, dentist, and therapy appointments.
- Two days of respite each month.
- Emergency respite care available up to seven days.
- To attend monthly in-service training.